Last night I decided to make dinner for the family, because I knew no one else was going to. However, this bothered me none at all, because I love cooking, especially after switching to the vegetarian life. And after an intense hour and a half work-out at the gym, I was ready to eat, and my body craved natural. On the way home from the gym I thought of all the things I could make and decided by the time I got home to make a variety of enriching, protein pumped foods. Since I already knew how to whip up a tasty
butternut squash, I choose that, along with boiled & seasoned potatoes, brown rice, (in which I sprinkled kosher salt, pepper, and squeezed some fresh lemon), and a spring mix salad. The meal was amazing, and as I chatted with my parents and sister, we concluded how nice it was to be able to eat healthy, quality food in the comfort of our home, rather than over-priced, who-knows-whats-in-the food, crummy atmosphere a restaurant would provide. And how nice it was. I have been valuing family time a lot more recently, and have been taking turns with Shannon to make dinner for the family. I give my job, (mainly my old boss Lisa), the credit for my beginning, yet proficient cooking skills. I didn't take many pictures of the food, but here's one of the salad:
 |
| spring salad mix, red & green bell peppers, w/ chopped mushroom, tofu, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes. The "dressing" was balsamic with some olive oil and kosher salt. |
This past weekend I focused a lot of my attention on doing my best and doing better than my best. This, I feel, is the only way I'll ever become a better cook, a better employer, a better me. Another thing I thought about over dinner last night was how much I want to become a better me. I want Christ to shine through me, and I want to use His gifts He's given me. If God has given me the ability to cook, then be golly, I'll cook. If He's given me the ability to be in college at this age, then by golly, I will study my heart out and focus totally in all my classes. My goal for this semester is to catch whatever is thrown at me. We'll see.
More to come,
-R
No comments:
Post a Comment